What's up and happening


We've moved!



I ended 2014 with the urge to move. Growing up, I moved around a lot and I always wanted to find that one home where my children would know as home and feel safe and comfort when they walked through the doors and into the foyer. I thought that we had that on the farm but things kept going wrong and the more that I wanted to make it into the home that I longed for, the faster thing were falling apart and stopping it from happening.

The farmhouse was built in the 1700's for the first mineworkers in the area - it is old! And as much as I adore the history and the quirks that made it appealing to us, it wasn't being maintained by the owner and he wanted zero involvement. Personally, we're not in the position to buy a home just yet, but I also found it ridiculous having to fix things like geysers, mould and wooden floors that I was falling through, at my own expense for someone else's home. One thing lead to the next and with only 1,5 weeks to pack we found new tenants and a new home!

Our farmhouse has served us well - it was where Darren and I got married, where we found out we were expecting, where we welcomed new fur-babies and said goodbye to our dear pal, Sprockie. It is Axl's first home and all that he knew - but now it's time to move on and create new memories.


Our new home is smaller and a little more expensive but it is EVERYTHING we need and wanted from a home. It is within walking distance of shops like Woolies, Clicks and even a a Virgin Active Gym!

I like that it is smaller, though it is a schlep to try find place for things that were once stored in our pantry or spare room. I am able to go on about my daily chores without having to always wonder if Axl is ok because he is always nearby and within my view. He has grown so independent in the last week of being here and has started to enjoy being in his own room, where he plays with his cars, wagon and piano. Our bedroom has become just that... a bedroom. In our old house, our bedroom was Axl's playroom, a lounge, dining area and work space. We had a TV in our room and due to the hazard that was the wooden floors, we tended to stay in our room for the most part. Now, it can only fit our bed and my dresser - yayee! This also means more family time in the lounge. With it all open planned, I am able to cook dinner, while Axl plays cars and D works on his websites. We're all busy with our own thing, but not far enough to feel like we're disconnected.


Best part? We can get normal, working internet! By now you know that I work as a virtual assistant and the company that I work for has grown significantly in the last 3 months. My roles and responsibilities have also grown due to my colleague leaving and the majority of the duties falling on me - I am loving it. My job has become challenging and on the go, which means I am seriously enjoying it but that I need to be in daily with reliable connection. Now that we're off the farm, I can get a 20MB line and not worry about disconnecting when a little bit of wind hits us. Darren and I are ecstatic!

Besides the move...


Axl turns one in 19 very short days! Where on earth has the year gone? We're planning a little family get-together to celebrate our new home and the coolest little dude. The theme for the party is "Little Man" and I have already started pinning ideas. I feel like I have failed to document every amazing moment that I have shared with this little guy and how much he has changed our lives, but in the same breath I want to just enjoy what I have with him because before I finish typing it, he will be onto the next thing and then we'll be picking out uniforms and school subjects.

He's communication skills are growing by the day. He understands "ta" and says it every now and then. "Mama" is a firm favourite, followed by "gaggy" (daddy) and has recently started with "woof" whenever the dogs start barking. He waves hello and "ta-ta" whenever we say hi and bye to people and likes to babble about "ba-ba" all the time.


I can't believe how much he has developed. Before, he would drop something and it would seize to exist any more, nowadays, he knows to climb under the couch and collect it. He has figured out how to climb onto the couch, too. He loves Taylor Swift's Shake-it-Off and whenever there's a little tantrum about to erupt he gets completely distracted by the nearby i-Pad or cellphone which conveniently has the video bookmarked. He tends to shake the device and softly hum with the music, too. He has become a little more confident and steady on his feet but still has the odd-speed wobble, every now and then which ends in a quick break-down of tears and snot, but a little sip of water and mom's miracle cream, and we're good to go.





 photo MeganSignature.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-50744660-2