What's up and happening

Firstly, a big happy new years to everyone. I cannot believe how quickly the year has passed by, I mean in less than 2 months we'll be celebrating Axl's first birthday! Incase you missed it, I did a little break down of 2014, the things that happened that I never thought would, the hopes for this year and more.  Also, you should check out my latest post on Beauty Blog where I'll be telling you how you can win each month, this year, to thank my most loyal readers. AND... A quick note that I have started a new Facebook page, please go like it for updates and more! 

And now,  what's been up and happening.

I've taken a little blogging break to spend time with family.  December has been hectic, from the day that D has gone on holiday, we've been busy every day. I'm starting to crave a binge series kinda day.
It's been so awesome to introduce Axl to family who live far and wide. We managed to visit Darren's cousins, who stay in Sandton, at their holiday home in Plett. They have 2 kids, a princess perfect little girl and the cutest 22 month old boy who passes all his clothes onto Axl. I've only ever met this side of the family on one other occasion which was 2 years ago but everytime that I've seen them, we hit it off.  I really enjoy the company of moms who have been there, they understand those mini-meltdown moments. I honestly believe that the biggest lessons learnt this holiday are...

1. It takes a village to raise a child

I never really understood this expression until Anita, Darren's cousin, said it and it resonated with me. We all impact the children in our lives,  whether they're our own or they're our nieces,  nephews, god children or cousins. Kids soak up everything that they encounter just like a sponge and they depend on us to guide them, mould them and teach them what is wrong and right. I acknowledge that we all have different parenting styles but I think we all underestimate how our actions can affect our children in the long run. Lead by example, even if it's not your own children, one day you will have your own and you will completely understand how much that parent is relying on you to be the best version of you!

With that being said, I've been questioning myself - or my actions - a lot lately. I recently informed my mom of my sister who is 11 years old, being allowed to consume alcohol whilst in the care of another family member. My sister thought that I was the grinch who stole Christmas when I told her mom. I haven't processed it all just yet, but I think what surprises me the most is that family members have turned their back on the very people trying to protect these children. I've been wondering if this could have all been avoided by shutting up but after taking time, I have come to the conclusion that in actual fact, it couldn't have been avoided. I'm a firm believer in the truth always coming out but this also brings me back to "it takes a village to raise a child." Someone has got to lookout for those children and I was protecting my sister above all.

2. Mommy friends are the best kind

I've been privileged to be around all sorts of people this December and it's been tough to accommodate each one! Some cannot stand the sign of a mom breastfeeding, while others blurt out, "oh you doing that here." Some will think that Axl is being a handful because he can't be packed away and put back on a shelf when it suits them and then, there are the mommies who just get it.

You have no idea the comfort that comes with the words, "there are wipes and cream in the room, you can change and feed him there." Especially when it feels like you've spent an entire day apologising for your child being a child. To be upfront, Axl is a very well behaved baby and if you happen to catch him on a bad day, I can bet my bottom dollar it's the fact that he is cutting 5 teeth at the same time. He is 10 months old and being a boy means the need to explore and learn new things. He doesn't like to be held and carried,  he is independent. And breastfeeding, don't even get me started! What it comes down to is, my boobs are a source of nutrients for my child and just as you wouldn't want to be covered or to be served food in a nasty-smelling bathroom, neither does my child.  When you've been breastfeeding, you no longer see your boobs as an object of sexual desire, it is your baby's greatest comfort, a bond between mother and child and something that I don't expect you to understand, until having done it yourself. But I do expect you to respect me. No, I won't just pull my boob out in the middle of lunch, but if I turn my back to you, to put my kid to sleep instead of having a teary, over-tired baby, don't give me that look.

Realizing the importance of mommy-friends, I am even more determined to hold mom's meetups more frequently, this year. But I am at the point where I don't even think that every single one has to be an extravagant affair, that requires months of planning with goodie bags and all, some could just be a nice meetup at the petting zoo for our children to interact and meet one another. Let me know what you think? (P.S. I am in PE!)


 

Christmas Time

Axl's first Christmas was a complete spoil. I am so grateful to each one of you who went the extra mile to give him such personal and sweet gifts. He has so many toys that light up and make noises, that I am dreading the price of a bulk-pack of batteries at the end of the month. I really cannot express my gratitude to each of our families who had hosted such special lunches and made Axl's Christmas so extraordinary. Darren and I bought him his first F1 car, and made sure to add the flame stickers so that it is ultra-fast. His other presents included lots of play cars, bath toys, balls, a walker and swimming aid. We have enjoyed so much time in the pool and I love that when Axl is in the arms of anyone else, as soon as he sees me, he goes into swim mode trying to kick his way to me.

Other milestones...

He has had his 5th tooth for a little while and has about 4 others about to pop out, any day now. He is pretty determined to get walking and even attempted to run yesterday which resulted in a face-plant. I am just waiting for his first-steps. He says "HEY!" a lot, especially when he wants your attention, or when there are dogs nearby. He loves animals!! He also says "mom" and can't manage daddy so says, "gaggy!" He came up with "ba-ba" the other day and then proceeded to call everyone "ba-ba." The cutest thing happened the other day, when we showed him a doll for the first time... he kissed it so gently! I wish I could have captured the moment, but it was really the sweetest thing that I have ever seen!



Ganny visits!

My mom has come down to PE for about 2 weeks which has been fantastic. I am so proud to show off my gorgeous son and see them playing together. My heart aches that my mom will only ever see him every couple of months, I'd love for her to watch him grow up. It really has been a pleasure to see how he has taken to her, especially as she is only a voice on the phone, to him. He hates being held but will gladly take to a game of peek-a-boo, with her. He has kept her on her toes, helps with the washing and loves using my sister's dolls as mops. I think that my mom expected me to be uptight and not allow Axl to make messes or have fun but I think that I have become quite down-to-earth, since having him.

So, that is that... 
I am still on a little break but thought that I would catch you all up. I hope that you're enjoying the last few days of holidays. If you're travelling home, please be safe - the roads are a crazy and scary place. We are leaving for Port Alfred on Sunday, to spend the evening, but still have a few days left with my mom and some off-time to just... relax. 


 photo MeganSignature.png

1 comment:

  1. You so did the right thing with ur sister, she will thank u when she older and realize you did her a favour, enjoy the rest of your hoilday

    ReplyDelete

UA-50744660-2