Huggies: Pure Wipes


Overall Rating: 5
Cost: 4
Quality:4
Effectiveness: 5

Price:  +/- R99, (quad pack) available from Pick n Pay

I am usually loyal to my brands but after my baby shower, I was stuck with three different brands of baby wipes; Lovies, Pampers and Huggies. I decided that I would use this as an opportunity to give each brand a fair chance and see which of the three, came out shining. It has been three weeks since Axl's birth and I feel that I have a good amount of nappy changes under my belt, to write this review.

I have chosen to focus on the brand which I feel is the best in comparison to the other two. 

My son doesn't have much of my genes but the little that he does have is probably the worst parts of me - like my incredibly sensitive skin! So wipes that were fragrance and not specially designed with little-people in mind, were off the table. Huggies Pure is formulated for sensitive skin and doesn't feel like artificial fibres being scraped against your skin, instead it is the softest cotton that gently glides over my baby's bum. At first glance, the Huggies wipes differ from the other brands as they have little engravings of teddy bears, much like the toilet paper with puppy markings. I put this down to just making it cuter and can be used as a distraction when Axl gets older, you know - "oh look at the teddy bears, they're going to eat your nose!" But after a couple of uses, I realized that this is more than a mere "pretty-factor" and noticed how it helped in cleaning smelly bums as it collected more of the mess, instead of smearing it all over his bum, like other wipes, Huggies actually removed the mess and leaved a clean bum without making my little one fuss! I also noticed that because of this genius helper, I didn't need to go through as many wipes as I did with the others. Another factor that I noticed is that Huggies didn't have their wipes soaked in some soapy substance, it annoys me when I open a bag of wipes and I can squeeze the soap out of the wipes, as if it were a cloth! Honestly, you end up needing a cloth to wipe away all the soap which means zero convenience for those rushed days out and about. Other wipes brag to be fragrance free but still had a chemical-smell or an overpowering "this-is-what-a-baby-should-smell-like" scent, while Huggies, who never made this claim, had a gentle and light fragrance that caused no irritation to Axl's skin. There is nothing more annoying than a 2am nappy change, where your hands are full, you are alternating eyes (trying to rest one, while the other works), baby is hungry, tired and upset and with one hand you try taking out A SINGLE wipe but instead the packet has decided that it is a magician's sleeve, and the wipes keep coming! The other incident is when the wipes all get stuck in the pack and you end up pulling twenty out. I realized that this is due to two reasons, one being the wipes are too wet and soapy, causing them to stick to one another, and the other being the way the wipes are folded and packed. With Huggies, I am so relieved that this is not a problem and when you want a single wipe, that's exactly what you get!! Lastly, in the last week, Axl got a rash from using reusable nappies (review to come) and he'd scream every time anything would come in contact with the area, needless to say I had to take special care on which products to use on his already sensitive skin and was so happy when I noticed that I didn't have to change wipes, too. When I was pregnant, I had chosen my brands for everything from nappies to bum cream, but I believed wipes were all the same and settled on the idea that I'd just purchase whichever brand was on special, at the time, but this review has taught me that wipes are as important as anything else - if not more - as they come in contact with the most gentlest parts of your baby's skin and are responsible for doing a good job of cleaning up, so take care when picking your brand!

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-50744660-2