Feeding Wars: The Haul



In a recent post, I promised that I'd outline my haul for introducing solids, well... here it is!


PURITY: 1st Foods

Baby's First Cereal

Available in maize or rice, these are great to start your introduction of solids! Axl loves his cereal and eats an entire bowl every morning. All you need to do is add some breast milk ('Just add Water' also available) and you're good to go! Although the instructions tell you to make it ultra smooth, Axl prefers his thicker. 



PURITY: 2nd Foods

Puré 

This is where things get fun, messy fun... but fun! I love watching how his face reacts to new flavours and textures. He especially loves 'carrots' and 'apple & blackcurrent delight.' Although there are smaller jars available, I find that these are the perfect size as I get two feeds out of one jar. 

PRO TIP: Learn from me and always dish the puré out, into a separate bowl, as salivia thins it out, making it watery. (I couldn't understand, why I kept having to throw half-full jars, out!) 


PURITY: Juices

So when introducing solids, you want to start introducing other liquids too, as these help preventing constipation. PURITY offers concentrated apple juice which you can mix 1:2. I usually pour 1 oz of juice and 2 oz of water. Axl sips it throughout the day and has no problem with his tummy. I also like to keep a boxed juice in our nappy bag, so that we are never without. They come in an assortment of flavours; we've just bought a 6 pack of Mixed Berry, that tastes devine! 

Axl experienced some tummy-trouble, recently, which was put down to teething. Everything (including suppositories) failed! Eventually, I tried some of Infacare's apple and prune blend, which fixed everything. However, I do not encourage the prune flavour unless they are constipated, as Axl continued to sip on his juice resulting in horrible tummy cramps. Since that adventure, we have stuck to the apple juice throughout the day, which does the trick!


Feeding Tools


Bowls, spoons and bibs! It isn't rocket science!


Finding the perfect spoon:

So we've tried a few different spoons. Honestly, we only purchased the blue one, from Pick 'n Pay, and if I am not mistaken it is from the Pretty Babe range. The 2nd spoon (from the left) was given part of my Dis-Chem mommy bag and number 3 and 4 were part of gifts from a cousin. 

While number 1 and 2 serve their purpose, they aren't the greatest! Axl struggles to get all the food off the spoon as it is a bit deep. However, number 3 and 4 are amazing! These Pigeon feeding spoons can be bought as a set and serve two individual purposes. The yellow one is great for puré as it shallow and Axl has no problem getting all his food off the spoon, also it is small and fits nicely into his mouth! The green one is for soups, it stops it from messing and allows him to 'sluuurp' it all up!


Disposable Bibs

As it is, I am flying through bibs with Axl teething and drooling everywhere! I decided that I would just use disposable bibs during feeds as the clean up is a lot easier and you don't have to worry about stains. Personally, I prefer the Dis-Chem Baby Things bib has a few tweaks that I believe make mom's life a lot easier! (I will do a post featuring the differences soon!)


If you're struggling or thinking of introducing solids- or any baby related topics - PURITY's website has amazing tips to get you through. Although, I thought I had it all covered, I spent some time reading through the information and quickly made changes! Click here

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having more success with solids than I was at that stage. And those sure are interesting spoons.
    I like the juicy even now Nicky likes them.
    I also was breastfeeding throughout the day. Now it's just for sleep!
    Have you tried a plastic bib? Works well for me.

    ReplyDelete

UA-50744660-2